Taiko Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taiko @ Arcadia 2009 (success!)

+19
jenny_amh
PegaKok
DarkOni++
Skyne Keira
adri
th_newbie
mitsurugi
hayatekazama
HareHareYukai
gepi
Giazenshia
Ice_
YukariKaito
Zenova
まきお
yuu_yuki
Rubyrain
Mint
ongchinkai
23 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Taiko @ Arcadia 2009 (success!) - Page 4 Empty Re: Taiko @ Arcadia 2009 (success!)

Post by gepi Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:11 am

ongchinkai wrote:Regarding competition format, I already have a rough idea in mind, so no worries about that. My concerns now are publicity, sponsorship and event management, in order of importance.

EDIT: Meanwhile I would appreciate it if the others could speak up more. I understand your eagerness, Lexus, but you don't have to reply so frequently.

just my half cents.

publicity: imho there's not much need for publicity. if the targeted people excludes those who touches the game once or twice, three year old kids and their pesky parents, there is a 99.9% chance that they are being lock-on by most people in the forum and will be persuaded to join anyway. those who don't, I believe that they won't be interested in the competition.
if there is a need to, maybe suggest to arcadia to publish those weekly updates like zone x? then maybe we can get a small chunk of the competition in to.

sponsorship: I will rank this as the biggest hurdle. I guess since this is a maiden competition, it is hard to actually prove to the sponsors to it is worth advertising/sponsoring with us. so I guess our best bet will be from arcadia. considering the above mentioned point, I guess one or two posters is enough to attract the mass audience; pamplets, when taking into account our budget, will be a bit superfluous, or even obselete, since most people like me will just take it and fold it to a paper aeroplane and chuck it away without taking a look at it.

event management: taking a leaf out of saf's book, white tapes should be sufficient. plus one or two people to volunter to be burly bodyguards.
gepi
gepi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Taiko @ Arcadia 2009 (success!) - Page 4 Empty Re: Taiko @ Arcadia 2009 (success!)

Post by Rubyrain Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27 am

publicity: flyers, posters, etc. because our budget is small.

sponsorship: i don't think we'll succeed much in this area, because if arcadia was willing, they would have contacted us earlier. and as an independent group trying to organise this on our own, i dun think any company will be daring enough to sponsor some ulu ulu group for some ulu ulu cause (to them lah). not to be a wet blanket. xD

event management: most imptly, to liase with arcadia to borrow space and machine, fix a date, start advertising. then we can decide wad are the things we need to do and look out for. right now, i also can't think of much to help.

another thing is that, u might wanna try approaching zone x to see how it goes too. try to catch that mr rahman and talk to him? i know u guys hate zone x and all, but being too dependent on arcadia isn't a good thing either. one thing is, zone x definitely WON'T sponsor. haha.

Rubyrain
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by gepi Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Rubyrain wrote:publicity: flyers, posters, etc. because our budget is small.

sponsorship: i don't think we'll succeed much in this area, because if arcadia was willing, they would have contacted us earlier. and as an independent group trying to organise this on our own, i dun think any company will be daring enough to sponsor some ulu ulu group for some ulu ulu cause (to them lah). not to be a wet blanket. xD

event management: most imptly, to liase with arcadia to borrow space and machine, fix a date, start advertising. then we can decide wad are the things we need to do and look out for. right now, i also can't think of much to help.

another thing is that, u might wanna try approaching zone x to see how it goes too. try to catch that mr rahman and talk to him? i know u guys hate zone x and all, but being too dependent on arcadia isn't a good thing either. one thing is, zone x definitely WON'T sponsor. haha.

reminds me. for advertisement, maybe we can go advertise in those chui taiko version arcades? as in tpy, white sands and dgoa. I once saw one guy carrying a toolbox walking around and spammed 3 credits playing futsuu at white sands.
gepi
gepi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubyrain Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:59 am

LOL. Could try. that would require liasing with zone x though~

Rubyrain
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by th_newbie Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 am

arcadia is nicer. coz i tried to nego with zone x people on dropping the price of taiko to attract more customers, BOY ARE THEY CRANKY.
th_newbie
th_newbie
初心者
初心者

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:00 pm

th_newbie wrote:arcadia is nicer. coz i tried to nego with zone x people on dropping the price of taiko to attract more customers, BOY ARE THEY CRANKY.

lol if they actually listened to u, the sun wld rise from the west XD if they rly listened, long long ago alr would've changed all to $0.95 Very Happy then can spam

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsurugi Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Zenova wrote:
th_newbie wrote:arcadia is nicer. coz i tried to nego with zone x people on dropping the price of taiko to attract more customers, BOY ARE THEY CRANKY.

lol if they actually listened to u, the sun wld rise from the west XD if they rly listened, long long ago alr would've changed all to $0.95 Very Happy then can spam

You'll see me there spamming playing for about 3 hours if they did lower the price to $0.95 Very Happy
Sure the total money used in taiko per day will be higher than HOTD4 Very Happy
mitsurugi
mitsurugi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:18 am

The competition venue will definitely be Arcadia, nowhere else. I have as much love for Zone-X as most of you here (which I reckon to be next to zero).

Having said that, I've heard from Yuu that Arcadia brought in three new machines with the intention of holding a competition. The catch is that they want it to coincide with their grand opening (?) in September, and I'm very concerned that September is too close to the exams.

So what do you think? September, or December? Both have their pros and cons; Arcadia seems pretty much insistent on September at the moment though, but it's still worth discussing.

And good news is, with three machines, we have a lot more options for the competition formats. I'll be making some tweaks to my plans and hopefully I'll be able to put them up soon.

Bad news, though, is that I've found a job, and will be starting work in August. Hopefully that won't interfere with my planning.

Alright, signing out here. Keep the discussion relevant, as usual. Thanks! Smile
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Giazenshia Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 am

September:

Primary/Secondary School/JC = Holidays, just after exams. (With the exception of O levels cause it's nearby)
Poly = End of Poly semester, Holidays. (Whole month)
Uni = Not sure... lol

For me, I'll be probably heading down very often to Arcadia (screw Zone-X already, even the Jubeat there is cheaper. $1.50 for 4 songs) since I'm very free... I reckon a lot of Poly students will be going there as well, since it's the end of our semester 1. Pri/Sec/JC students are more focused on their coming EOY Exams which are around the corner.

December:

Primary/Secondary/JC = EOY Holidays
Poly = Short holidays, End of year exams coming soon.
Uni = Not sure

So December, you'll probably see more younger teens there. Poly students are more occupied with studies and projects.

So yeah, you'll see different age group at different timings.
Giazenshia
Giazenshia
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks Giaz for the info. For uni students, midterms come around mid or late September, and final papers end around very early December.

With this info, what we have to look at is where the primary demographic lies - in other words, who are we targeting...although like I mentioned, Arcadia has the biggest say.
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubyrain Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm

i think one of the reasons why arcadia wanted the competition to coincide with their opening would be because of the crowd of ppl that they will be expecting. if we hold the competition during that period of time, we can also hope to attract the attention of many people who don't know what is taiko.

if its during the december holidays, the "freshness" of the place would have died down by a little and there won't be as many people. not to mention many of the youngsters would be going on year end trips.

at the end of the day, it boils down to wad the aims of this competition are. are we more interested in attracting the attention of more people, or are we just having a competition for taikodojo members to have fun?

no doubt we know that arcadia is agreeable to this competition because of the potential of monetary gains and also as a form of advertising for arcadia. in liasing with them, it will be us who have to be the ones who give in to what they are aiming for, and make the best of what we can out of that.

Rubyrain
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:35 pm

ongchinkai wrote:The competition venue will definitely be Arcadia, nowhere else. I have as much love for Zone-X as most of you here (which I reckon to be next to zero).

Having said that, I've heard from Yuu that Arcadia brought in three new machines with the intention of holding a competition. The catch is that they want it to coincide with their grand opening (?) in September, and I'm very concerned that September is too close to the exams.

So what do you think? September, or December? Both have their pros and cons; Arcadia seems pretty much insistent on September at the moment though, but it's still worth discussing.

And good news is, with three machines, we have a lot more options for the competition formats. I'll be making some tweaks to my plans and hopefully I'll be able to put them up soon.

Bad news, though, is that I've found a job, and will be starting work in August. Hopefully that won't interfere with my planning.

Alright, signing out here. Keep the discussion relevant, as usual. Thanks! Smile

I've told them regarding the December plans you have but yeah, they said "We can have another Taiko Competition at the end of the year too, you'll never know."

Rubyrain wrote:i think one of the reasons why arcadia wanted the competition to coincide with their opening would be because of the crowd of ppl that they will be expecting. if we hold the competition during that period of time, we can also hope to attract the attention of many people who don't know what is taiko.

Bingo.
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsurugi Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Well I guess if the september competition goes well and they gain alot of publicity and money, there would probably be another one at the end of the year... I hope... I can't make it to the septembers... Os...
mitsurugi
mitsurugi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:46 am

Now I feel I owe you guys some interim update. There's good news and bad news, though.

Good news first. As some of you might have heard, through hearsay or whatever, that Arcadia has once again expressed their interest in hosting a competition. I am pleased to confirm that it is as said, discussions are once again actively in progress. In fact, I will be meeting the marketing team and one of the floor managers very soon.

Bad news, though, is that it may be brought way forward, which does not conform to my schedule at all. Being rushed and all that, it is inevitable that the quality of the competition will be compromised. Hence this will be one major issue to be discussed during our meeting.

I will update once I find out how we can accommodate Arcadia in their plans.
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by adri Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:50 pm

i think you can share the load if you need help im sure many will be willing to help you
adri
adri
初心者
初心者

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:58 am

adri wrote:i think you can share the load if you need help im sure many will be willing to help you

The less people involved, the bigger is the potential pool of players...but this will be moot - see below. Smile

Good news, ladies and gentlemen. The competition details have more or less been fixed. Details are as follows:

Date: Aug 15, 2009 (Sat)
Time: TBA
Fee: TBA, but confirmed to be $5-10
Format: Singles, exact details TBA (team event possible if there's sufficient demand)
Capped at 24 participants (for now, but may go up depending on demand)

Another piece of good news is that I will make the format transparent, so that people involved in organizing can be cleared to participate in the event. In other words, you can both participate and help out. Smile

Finally, this is entirely still in the works, but I might throw in a side-event involving the Taiko 11 machine. It's a surprise for now. Cool
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:54 pm

ongchinkai wrote:
adri wrote:i think you can share the load if you need help im sure many will be willing to help you

The less people involved, the bigger is the potential pool of players...but this will be moot - see below. Smile

Good news, ladies and gentlemen. The competition details have more or less been fixed. Details are as follows:

Date: Aug 15, 2009 (Sat)
Time: TBA
Fee: TBA, but confirmed to be $5-10
Format: Singles, exact details TBA (team event possible if there's sufficient demand)
Capped at 24 participants (for now, but may go up depending on demand)

Another piece of good news is that I will make the format transparent, so that people involved in organizing can be cleared to participate in the event. In other words, you can both participate and help out. Smile

Finally, this is entirely still in the works, but I might throw in a side-event involving the Taiko 11 machine. It's a surprise for now. Cool

Sianz.. no doubles.. Not enough people..
We really have to have transparent so can add on to the singles quota sia..
Ruby zabor, join for fun lehz, help us to hit quota. Let's drag sky to join also. And xiu yi auntie's boy boy to join. xD

CK,
Dress-up taiko??
Like wear some costume and play taiko in some emperess "Wang2 Tai4 Hou4" clothes??
whahahaha~ xD
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Post reserved for FAQ
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubyrain Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:43 pm

is HUANG tAi hou. LOL. And i dun really feel like joining leh~ c how lor. if not enuf ppl den i join ba. haha.

Rubyrain
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by adri Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:42 pm

who is going to decide what songs to play ?
adri
adri
初心者
初心者

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsurugi Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:09 pm

adri wrote:who is going to decide what songs to play ?

I guess probably ongchinkai... I doubt the arcadia members knows very well what songs in the games are for which standards... Just my guess though
mitsurugi
mitsurugi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by gepi Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:06 pm

sian. that day I not free. not that I'm going to join, but then go there see see look look also shuang.
gepi
gepi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:00 am

mitsurugi wrote:
adri wrote:who is going to decide what songs to play ?

I guess probably ongchinkai... I doubt the arcadia members knows very well what songs in the games are for which standards... Just my guess though

Yes that would be right, but please...just call me CK. Anyway, to be more precise, I decide what songs are going to be randomly picked. More on this when I release the finalized rules latest tomorrow (awaiting green light from Arcadia).

For those of you who are interested in taking part, registration starts some time this week, exclusively at Arcadia - in other words, you'll have to go down and fill up a form, make payment (which includes game play, so you're not paying for any tokens on the day itself), and that's it.

In case anyone is interested to find out, the rules have been made in such a way that everybody is going to stand a chance. Look out for the rules release tomorrow night! Smile
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:53 am

Alright I've put up the details and rules. Still awaiting confirmation on registration fee and prizes.

Once again, interested participants please take note that registration starts this week at Arcadia.
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 am

To clarify some points:

ongchinkai wrote:
Group Stage
1. The playlist for each group comprises of three songs of the players’ choice and one random song, for a total of four songs.

For example, in a group with Yuu, me and Mint, the playlist might be Rotter Tarmination muzukashii (chosen by me), Gear Up oni (chosen by Yuu), Cruel Angel's Thesis oni (random) and William Tell oni (chosen by Mint). In another group, the playlist might be Rotter Tarmination muzukashii, Hana oni, Doraemon futsuu (don't laugh, the rules provide for this) and Sengoku Sangen muzukashii. In other words, the playlist is different for each group.

ongchinkai wrote:
Knockout Stage (KO)
5. ...For the first round of KO, the player who went through the revival stages decides the order of the playlist. In the subsequent rounds this playlist is shuffled.

Let's say Yuu (group winner) meets Hayate (qualified from revival stage 1) in the first round of KO. The songs are Sengoku Sangen oni (chosen by Yuu), 88 oni (chosen by Hayate), Saitama 2000 oni (random) and Motteke oni (random). Since Hayate came through revival stage, he has the option to order the playlist as he wants (to avoid tiring out early, for instance). This option only applies in the first round of KO; this playlist is shuffled from the quater-finals right up to the grand final.

ongchinkai wrote:
General Rules & Regulations
2. A song may be chosen by each player only once during the competition.

Using the above example, if Yuu makes it into KO, she cannot choose Gear Up AT ALL, not even muzukashii. Same goes for me not allowed to pick Rotter Tarmination on any difficulty, and so on. Yuu may however pick Rotter Tarmination, just as I may pick Gear Up. I believe the rationale behind this rule is pretty obvious.

Having said that, if you are lucky enough to get a random song which you have chosen previously, then good for you. Smile

Last edited by ongchinkai on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next