Taiko Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DrumZout 2009 DISCUSSION

+16
wreako24
まきお
PegaKok
MEOWpiku
Ice_
Pyrozz
Giazenshia
Rubyrain
Skyne Keira
Mint
jenny_amh
gepi
Zenova
yuu_yuki
ongchinkai
HareHareYukai
20 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

DrumZout 2009 DISCUSSION Empty DrumZout 2009 DISCUSSION

Post by HareHareYukai Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 am

Please Refer to
www.drumzout.com

NOTE THAT THIS THREAD IS RESERVED FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES. PLEASE POST ANY DISCUSSION MATERIAL(S) HERE, AND NOT ON THE OTHER THREAD. THANKS.

CURRENT UPDATES[prioritized]:
we got hold of the usage of a CO room 3 hours every saturday.
1. finalise members
2. finalise piece
3. finalise time.

CURRENT TEAM MEMBERS:
1. blyx
2. yuu
3. gepi(Please? we can't do without you)
4. chinkai
5. -PENDING-

Our current schedule(prioritized):
1. Finalise Team Members (5, probably)
2. Finalise Instrument(s) used
3. Finalise piece played.
4. Finalise Method of borrowing/or usage of Selected Instruments in practice.

Plan B:
Assuming we have no way of obtaining drums at all, no possible practice location.
We go for stomp.
1. Finalise instruments used.
2. Finalise Piece Played.

DrumZout 2009 is basically a competition organized by Nanyang Technological University(NTU) for percussionists to showcase their abilities in drumming, with any sort of drum(instruments allowed are listed in the website.), including taiko. Cymbals etc percussion is also allowed.

Their aims are to encourage and acknowledge drumming and recognize, and make known budding percussionists. They believe in the art of drumming, and they want to spread the word.

There are two categories,
Mainstream and Alternative.

Mainstream refers to the use of normal drum instruments(list is given there), with cymbals, gongs etc.

Under Mainstream there's MOE and Open categories.

MOE refers to only government schools recognized by MOE. (school teams)
Open categories. well it means open. yes.

both of these require a minimum of 5 participants - 16 participants.

Alternative category means the usage of non-drum instruments, eg. cutlery, pots, dustbins whatever.

3-16 participants.

it costs $10/- per participant.

The only cash prize is $1000, given to only the top team in each category.

What this competition could do for us is help spread the name of taikodojo and make ourselves known, as well as publicise taikodojo.

The lady who spoke to me told me that it was possible to create a poster or something like that and spread the name of taikodojo through it through this competition as a form of publicity. She asked if we had interest in this.

This competition is recognized more and more in the percussion industry in Singapore, so it could bring us a long way.

So I was thinking. Do we want to form a team and go?

This will definitely increase our publicity to extremes. But the problem is most of us have no drumming background. including myself. but its still possible i think. There are other problems like the obtaining of taiko drums or other instruments etc.

and by the way, this competition does not allow melodic instruments, eg violins pianos etc. pure percussion entertainment.

please indicate your response on this issue. it will affect the future of taikodojo yeah.
and any personal queries not stated on the website, you can pm me and ill forward it to the lady.

FAQ:
1. Are instruments provided during auditions/finals?
Only one western drum set will be provided. Other instruments have to brought ourselves.

Last edited by HareHareYukai on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
HareHareYukai
HareHareYukai
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

DrumZout 2009 DISCUSSION Empty Re: DrumZout 2009 DISCUSSION

Post by ongchinkai Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:35 am

Very interesting indeed!

I won't mind taking part if:
1. the date/time is alright
2. we can get equipment to practice
3. we have time to practice
(list of clauses is non-exhaustive, hahaha~)
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:19 am

Ps, just saw your thread here.

I don't mind taking part. The thing is:
1) we don't have the instruments.
2) we need a vast amount of time to practice to get it done.
3) i feel that if we want to popularize taiko game and go far through this drumzout platform, then we should at least put up an incredible performance so people will notice. Else, we're just another hay in the haystack.
4) Min. 5 people. Gepi doesn't want to help.
5) what songs and stuffs can we play?
6) No drumming background, but you need excellent sense of rhythm. You at least must know if you're a semiquaver late/early etc.
7) how many instruments and parts we need?
8 ) can't just anyhow hit the stuffs. we need scores, at least for references even if we memorize it.
9) where can we go practice?
10) if no instrument, we're going like stomp type?

Maybe we should play the mixture of 3 versions in taiko ranbu in dustbin/pots&pans-style.
Hahahahahaha~
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:39 am

DrumZout 2008 Champion - ITE College East:
https://www.facebook.com/s.php?ref=search&init=q&q=drumzout&sid=eb90eb6ba822a13d44831196b519e4fe#/video/video.php?v=69469899256

Register by 1st March 2009, Competition Date 20th June 2009..
We have time to prepare?? xD
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 am

hmmm.... maybe? Lol I wanna take part XD I can play almost all percussion instruments (compliments from CO) but then if it's NTU, then the standard is gonna be really high among the contestants ><

but i was looking at winners from last year, and realized that they are schools... but taikodojo isn't a school... is it?

lol i dun understand, you mean we have to get drums and go and play some ensemble?

if we ARE allowed to participate as Team "Taikodojo"... then... well, we gotta write a score hehe =]

and i was watching that vid lol, look like stomp. Those guys are pretty good!

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:24 am

oh yeah another prob. We can't just go up there playing TAIKO =.= need a lot of other random items, cuz in the video only had one huapendagu or wadeva it's called, and the rest pots and pans and dustbin... etc.

We also need people who can read a score if we were to write one =] but no notes involved (eg. a,b,c,d,e,f,g) so it's ok if no music background.

BUT if we DO have the ppl needed, can easily play a song better than them Smile

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by HareHareYukai Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:40 am

yuu_yuki wrote:Ps, just saw your thread here.

i'll check with her again if its possible in some way to get the instruments done.
yuu_yuki wrote:
3) i feel that if we want to popularize taiko game and go far through this drumzout platform, then we should at least put up an incredible performance so people will notice. Else, we're just another hay in the haystack.
for this we could put up taikoranbu 3 versions together as we always wanted.
we will need at least one practice session a week or more. etcetc. after all its june.

yuu_yuki wrote:4) Min. 5 people. Gepi doesn't want to help.

will make sure he comes. we can't do without him.

yuu_yuki wrote:6) No drumming background, but you need excellent sense of rhythm. You at least must know if you're a semiquaver late/early etc.
yeah. i know.
yuu_yuki wrote:7) how many instruments and parts we need?
this will be decided by our response and our final decision first. we will have to decide on the piece we're playing. this piece will definitely be a 3 part piece, (different notes, as in kurofune raikou, saitama2000, taikranbu etc.) so the sound will be more amazing. and i strongly support taikoranbu cuz this competition doesn't allow melodic instruments, which means the pure drum sound provides the entertainment.

yuu_yuki wrote:8 ) can't just anyhow hit the stuffs. we need scores, at least for references even if we memorize it.
can be done. get the beatmap from wiki etc.

yuu_yuki wrote:9) where can we go practice?
will be settled after we first settle how we get the instruments.

yuu_yuki wrote:10) if no instrument, we're going like stomp type?
i dont mind. yeh thats fine. but first things first i shall go find out if we can get hold of instruments.

yuu_yuki wrote:Maybe we should play the mixture of 3 versions in taiko ranbu in dustbin/pots&pans-style.
Hahahahahaha~

sounds fun too. so in the end it doesnt matter if we can get hold of stuff. we can just end up stomping. (: im pretty sure certain stuff can produce imba music.
HareHareYukai
HareHareYukai
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by HareHareYukai Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:44 am

Zenova wrote:oh yeah another prob. We can't just go up there playing TAIKO =.= need a lot of other random items, cuz in the video only had one huapendagu or wadeva it's called, and the rest pots and pans and dustbin... etc.

We also need people who can read a score if we were to write one =] but no notes involved (eg. a,b,c,d,e,f,g) so it's ok if no music background.

wei. THATS ALTERNATIVE. ALTERNATIVE. read thoroughly what i posted. and read the different methods of entry in the competition. THATS ALTERNATIVE. which means you use things non-drum to produce music.

you don't see that for mainstream. they limit your instruments' use.

WE CAN GO UP THERE PURE TAIKO. why not.
HareHareYukai
HareHareYukai
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 am

HareHareYukai wrote:
yuu_yuki wrote:Ps, just saw your thread here.

i'll check with her again if its possible in some way to get the instruments done.
yuu_yuki wrote:
we will need at least one practice session a week or more. etcetc. after all its june.

yuu_yuki wrote:4) Min. 5 people. Gepi doesn't want to help.

will make sure he comes. we can't do without him.

yuu_yuki wrote:6) No drumming background, but you need excellent sense of rhythm. You at least must know if you're a semiquaver late/early etc.
yeah. i know.
yuu_yuki wrote:7) how many instruments and parts we need?
this will be decided by our response and our final decision first. we will have to decide on the piece we're playing. this piece will definitely be a 3 part piece, (different notes, as in kurofune raikou, saitama2000, taikranbu etc.) so the sound will be more amazing. and i strongly support taikoranbu cuz this competition doesn't allow melodic instruments, which means the pure drum sound provides the entertainment.

yuu_yuki wrote:8 ) can't just anyhow hit the stuffs. we need scores, at least for references even if we memorize it.
can be done. get the beatmap from wiki etc.

yuu_yuki wrote:9) where can we go practice?
will be settled after we first settle how we get the instruments.

yuu_yuki wrote:10) if no instrument, we're going like stomp type?
i dont mind. yeh thats fine. but first things first i shall go find out if we can get hold of instruments.

yuu_yuki wrote:Maybe we should play the mixture of 3 versions in taiko ranbu in dustbin/pots&pans-style.
Hahahahahaha~

sounds fun too. so in the end it doesnt matter if we can get hold of stuff. we can just end up stomping. (: im pretty sure certain stuff can produce imba music.

yay blyx u done it again XD came up with answers to all conditions lol

Anyway, I'll take part... if it's ok with you ><

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:47 am

HareHareYukai wrote:
Zenova wrote:oh yeah another prob. We can't just go up there playing TAIKO =.= need a lot of other random items, cuz in the video only had one huapendagu or wadeva it's called, and the rest pots and pans and dustbin... etc.

wei. THATS ALTERNATIVE. ALTERNATIVE. read thoroughly what i posted. and read the different methods of entry in the competition. THATS ALTERNATIVE. which means you use things non-drum to produce music.

you don't see that for mainstream. they limit your instruments' use.

WE CAN GO UP THERE PURE TAIKO. why not.

i suppose it's ok if you say so =]

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:52 am

oh crap i was reading the conditions and stuff on the website and i realized i might not be able to go =.= cuz LSH sign me up for some MOECO camp where top 10 from each sch come together and play for some crap =.= dam... the camp is middle of june

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by HareHareYukai Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:34 pm

It seems like we'll have to find our own way to get instruments.
HareHareYukai
HareHareYukai
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by gepi Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:41 pm

reasons why I probably won't join:
1. I hate, dislike, abhor, detest, loathe competitions.
2. once a week training isn't enough(from experience after being battle-hardened from 2 syfs and some other our-band-is-better-than-your-band-and-we-shall-prove-it kidishness crap). As an army boiboi, I'll probably won't have the time to do so.(especially since I'm changing boss. have to wayang more.)
3. it's organised by ntu. not that I anti-you, but it's more of the people there that when I see I'll use tm 28. if you know what I mean.(ironic that 99.9% it's going to be my future school.)
4. even if people can psycho me to go, I have stage fright.(I made a bad entry for both my syf first note. I'll never forget it.)

ultimately, it's still no 1 lah. if you want me to be there with the pompoms and sandshrews and all I won't mind.
gepi
gepi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by jenny_amh Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 pm

gepi wrote:reasons why I probably won't join:
2. once a week training isn't enough(from experience after being battle-hardened from 2 syfs and some other our-band-is-better-than-your-band-and-we-shall-prove-it kidishness crap). As an army boiboi, I'll probably won't have the time to do so.(especially since I'm changing boss. have to wayang more.)
3. it's organised by ntu. not that I anti-you, but it's more of the people there that when I see I'll use tm 28. if you know what I mean.(ironic that 99.9% it's going to be my future school.)
4. even if people can psycho me to go, I have stage fright.(I made a bad entry for both my syf first note. I'll never forget it.)

ultimately, it's still no 1 lah. if you want me to be there with the pompoms and sandshrews and all I won't mind.

blyx and yuu~~ we should do wat he say.. pompoms and sandshrew to be there!! if not without there he wont join in~~ XDXD
jenny_amh
jenny_amh
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by Mint Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:51 pm

gepi wrote:
if you want me to be there with the pompoms and sandshrews and all I won't mind.

PPL!! GET GEPI A SANDSHREW JUMPSUIT AND MAKE HIM DANCE TO THE BEATS WHEN YOU GUYS PERFORM!!! lol!
Mint
Mint
見習い
見習い

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Ya, that's the huapeng gu (花盆鼓)
Both of us can teach the rest how to read CO scores, but who's gonna write the scores BETTER than those you saw in the video? Lolz~

HareHareYukai wrote:
yuu_yuki wrote:

Erm, from my experiences in vast amount of performances, at least once at week for most of the people here is not enough if you're playing taiko-ranbu-style.
And to really impress and make us noticed, at least have to practice every single day together till the whole thing is really good. =)
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 pm

jenny_amh wrote:
blyx and yuu~~ we should do wat he say.. pompoms and sandshrew to be there!! if not without there he wont join in~~ XDXD

Mint wrote:
PPL!! GET GEPI A SANDSHREW JUMPSUIT AND MAKE HIM DANCE TO THE BEATS WHEN YOU GUYS PERFORM!!! lol!

Gepi, don't forget what you said hor!! And guys!! Here's what i have in mind:
WE MAKE SURE GEPI WEAR THOSE TRIANGLE UNDIES WITH HAND-DRAWN SANDSHREW DESIGNS + POMPOMS TO CHEER FOR US. ^-^

Anyone think it's a good idea?? Twisted Evil

Come on la, put aside all these. If we join, we will have quite a few people ma, and stage fright will slowly go off after your first few notes. Not as if tell you to go up there, stand right in front of the whole orchestra and solo. (which i did. Totally freak out for my first drum solo. Damn scary. since i only have two short practices and have to perform liaoz. But after the whole thing, when you see that it's well-received by the audience, you'll feel really relief and happy de. )

So don't be like that la. I trust you that you can do it for sure de. Without you in the team, i feel so sianz. And confirm blyx will feel sianz-er de.
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:47 pm

yuu_yuki wrote:

jenny_amh wrote:

Mint wrote:

Gepi, don't forget what you said hor!! And guys!! Here's what i have in mind:
WE MAKE SURE GEPI WEAR THOSE TRIANGLE UNDIES WITH HAND-DRAWN SANDSHREW DESIGNS + POMPOMS TO CHEER FOR US. ^-^

Anyone think it's a good idea?? Twisted Evil

Come on la, put aside all these. If we join, we will have quite a few people ma, and stage fright will slowly go off after your first few notes. Not as if tell you to go up there, stand right in front of the whole orchestra and solo. (which i did. Totally freak out for my first drum solo. Damn scary. since i only have two short practices and have to perform liaoz. But after the whole thing, when you see that it's well-received by the audience, you'll feel really relief and happy de. )

So don't be like that la. I trust you that you can do it for sure de. Without you in the team, i feel so sianz. And confirm blyx will feel sianz-er de.

Yay, good idea. POMPOMS AND SANDSHREWS XD LOL

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by HareHareYukai Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 pm

YES GEPI MUST COME I DONT CARE T_T PLEASEEEEEEEEE GEPI WE NEED YOU LIKE SO MUCH CAN.

OH SIDE NOTE WE HAVE TO FIX THE ISSUE REGARDING THE INSTRUMENTS ASAP. IF NOT STOMP HERE WE COME LOL. and definitely taiko sounds produced beats stomp music 100%.*(FOR TAIKORANBU) imo. no offense.
HareHareYukai
HareHareYukai
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:53 pm

HareHareYukai wrote:YES GEPI MUST COME I DONT CARE T_T PLEASEEEEEEEEE GEPI WE NEED YOU LIKE SO MUCH CAN.

OH SIDE NOTE WE HAVE TO FIX THE ISSUE REGARDING THE INSTRUMENTS ASAP. IF NOT STOMP HERE WE COME LOL. and definitely taiko sounds produced beats stomp music 100%.*(FOR TAIKORANBU) imo. no offense.

But where to get taiko drums?
Then if it's stomp style, we have to find a really good substitute in terms of the notes: how deep the note is, how round the note when it's produce.
Hmm.. I wonder huapeng gu can do the trick or not.. If can you can ask from your school with the help of lexus.
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:27 pm

yuu_yuki wrote:
HareHareYukai wrote:YES GEPI MUST COME I DONT CARE T_T PLEASEEEEEEEEE GEPI WE NEED YOU LIKE SO MUCH CAN.

But where to get taiko drums?
Then if it's stomp style, we have to find a really good substitute in terms of the notes: how deep the note is, how round the note when it's produce.
Hmm.. I wonder huapeng gu can do the trick or not.. If can you can ask from your school with the help of lexus.

hmmm, i dun think i'm important enough to go grab instruments and say i need for a competition... i don't think even the chairman can do that >< and knowing LSH's char (blyx u shud know) she'll probably be like... =.=

yuu aren't u also from a CO? i think so... can't rmb ><

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 am

Zenova wrote:
hmmm, i dun think i'm important enough to go grab instruments and say i need for a competition... i don't think even the chairman can do that >< and knowing LSH's char (blyx u shud know) she'll probably be like... =.=

Ya, i'm from CO but the instruments belongs to the community club. And i doubt they allow to borrow big instruments when there's no co prac.
(As in can go there prac for a little while but not to borrow)
I even got told off by the community club staffs last time for wasting their electricity when i'm going there to practice solo alone the whole day. when in fact, i am being arrowed to play by the co for botanic garden event. Rolling Eyes

My co mates are good but the cc staffs are zzzzzzzzzz
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:37 am

yuu_yuki wrote:
Zenova wrote:

Ya, i'm from CO but the instruments belongs to the community club. And i doubt they allow to borrow big instruments when there's no co prac.
(As in can go there prac for a little while but not to borrow)
I even got told off by the community club staffs last time for wasting their electricity when i'm going there to practice solo alone the whole day. when in fact, i am being arrowed to play by the co for botanic garden event. Rolling Eyes

My co mates are good but the cc staffs are zzzzzzzzzz

>< lol that's really zzzzz... hmmm, we'll have to think of smth by June then... cuz I was thinking of registering as one of our schools for one of us in CO but then it's nt gonna work, cuz then the other perc members are gonna start saying "why are outsiders playing? i wanna play tooo Very Happy "

=.= and that's pretty screwed because the guy who is ranked after me (2) probably can play 6 star muzu at MOST. And the section leader (3) is even lower >< so no way am I gonna let my CO perc members play Mad

grrr... if it's a last resort, we're gonna have to do a stomp thing >< with pans and pots and.... eh... we could MAKE "material" taiko drums, like using boxes and materials and etc. But the sound will be crap XD

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:52 pm

HareHareYukai wrote:
CURRENT TEAM MEMBERS:
1. blyx
2. yuu
4. chinkai
5. -PENDING-

Uh, how come my name is there??? I'm not sure if I can do this actually... Rolling Eyes
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenova Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:59 pm

ongchinkai wrote:
HareHareYukai wrote:
CURRENT TEAM MEMBERS:
1. blyx
2. yuu
4. chinkai
5. -PENDING-

Uh, how come my name is there??? I'm not sure if I can do this actually... Rolling Eyes

aiya u sure can la, ur standard so pro... >< hmmm, can i be -PENDING-?

Zenova
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next