Taiko Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TaikoDojo birthday party?

+14
th_newbie
Suki
HareHareYukai
-x(Dex)x-
adri
gepi
Admin
yuu_yuki
Rubyrain
hayatekazama
mitsurugi
まきお
Giazenshia
ongchinkai
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

TaikoDojo birthday party? Empty TaikoDojo birthday party?

Post by ongchinkai Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 am

Well, I figured that since Taiko Dojo's birthday falls on a Saturday, why not celebrate its birthday together? I shall try to outline the idea in my head, so try to follow me alright?

Basically, what I have in mind is something not related to taiko - hey, we may be from Taiko Dojo, but not every gathering has to be related to taiko, right? Razz So I was thinking, "Are there any activities that is fun but NOT related to taiko, can appeal to a big group of people at once, yet affordable?"

My answer to the above? Board games!

I'm thinking of organizing a gathering at maybe Settler's Cafe (for instance), by booking the place for four hours (random number), and having our party there!

Of course, what's a birthday celebration without the birthday cake right? I'm thinking of ordering a cake enough for the number of people attending, and best thing is, that cake will have our Taiko Dojo picture on it - in other words, imagine a rectangular cake whose face is that header image you see right at the top? Well I ain't the most creative person out there so perhaps there might be something better, who knows! Smile

Now here's the question - everything sounds grand, yes...but where's the money going to come from?

With no disrespect to Ruby, who organized our chalet the previous time - while she did a great job at it, the one point which I think she overlooked was that promises are but empty words if there's nothing you can hold the person to - to which I must admit I was guilty of it to a certain extent. So what I'm going to do here is this: the event is on IF AND ONLY IF enough people confirm their attendance AND pay in advance.

Each person pays $10 (tentative sum), and this "fund" will go towards costs for the event, notably the cake and booking of the premise. This "fund" will be managed by me, and I will account for all expenditure only to those who've paid. After the event, any leftover will be refunded to the people who paid. I will bear the extra costs should the need arise. If the event is called off, the money will be refunded in full.

So...any comments?
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

TaikoDojo birthday party? Empty Re: TaikoDojo birthday party?

Post by ongchinkai Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:36 am

Of course there's always the simple option - which is to go play, then meet for dinner, then play some more...but that's too dull, and not special at all, I believe? As a founding member of Taiko Dojo I want to this birthday event special, different from our normal gatherings.

Hopefully I've gotten my message across. If at the end of the day you can't go, or don't want to go, I understand. Don't worry! Smile
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Giazenshia Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:19 am

I'm in for it. I have nothing on that day so I'll come for sure.

Maybe we can go K-box?
Giazenshia
Giazenshia
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Giazenshia wrote:Maybe we can go K-box?

It was in my initial brainstorm, but I eliminated it very early on because:
1. the cost per head will be much higher, and I want to make it as affordable as possible
2. there is very little interaction involved - basically it's just everyone watching one/two person sing most of the time
3. not everyone is able to sing Mandarin and/or English, which make up over 95% of the songs available at K-Box (Cash Studios was eliminated for similar reasons)

However, depending on the final turnout, this might become viable. It all depends. For now, I want to make this open to everybody. Smile
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Just to add on something: the main criteria I'm looking at are affordability and interaction. If there are any other activities which you feel fit this set of criteria, feel free to post here too!

However, in the interest of time (since we don't have much time left), I hope to confirm the details this week, so that if there's any need to book any place then I can do so ASAP.
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Giazenshia Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:33 pm

ongchinkai wrote:
Giazenshia wrote:Maybe we can go K-box?

It was in my initial brainstorm, but I eliminated it very early on because:
1. the cost per head will be much higher, and I want to make it as affordable as possible
2. there is very little interaction involved - basically it's just everyone watching one/two person sing most of the time
3. not everyone is able to sing Mandarin and/or English, which make up over 95% of the songs available at K-Box (Cash Studios was eliminated for similar reasons)

However, depending on the final turnout, this might become viable. It all depends. For now, I want to make this open to everybody. Smile

Makio said something about there is a K-box somewhere around Orchard with Japanese songs but I don't have much details. If we can find out about the pricing there, and it's affordable, why not? Try asking Makio, maybe he knows the name of the place? (I can't sing in Mandarin also...)

I was also thinking about some sports activities like cycling, not too sure who can cycle and who cannot. Other things/events could be like bowling, playing pool and etc, but also, there might be people who do not know how to play.

Board games are fine, but can't think of any location except Nebo (and expensive) -.-"
Giazenshia
Giazenshia
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by まきお Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:41 am

Whoa, I think I discussed about a TaikoDojo one year celebration outing before, looks like its really going to happen~

Giazenshia wrote:

Makio said something about there is a K-box somewhere around Orchard with Japanese songs but I don't have much details. If we can find out about the pricing there, and it's affordable, why not? Try asking Makio, maybe he knows the name of the place? (I can't sing in Mandarin also...)

Haha I think CK already mentioned the name of the KTV, yes its called Cash Studio. And it has all kinds of songs, be it English, Malay, Mandarin... and of course, JAPANESE! Price is affordable too, 3 persons inclusive of 3 free drinks for 3 hours, all for $38++. And there is further discount if you present a student ez-link too. Additional person will be extra $10.

And since I'm also suggesting this too, it's clearly viable now to propose this activity, and I'm pretty sure there are others too who may be interested in singing J-pop and anime songs apart from Mandarin and English songs. This is definitely a great way to interact and yes, price is definitely affordable too. Thus, let's not eliminate the idea of singing at KTV.

Other activities I can suggest for that day could be.

- KTV
- Pool
- Bowling
- Picnic (no BBQ, just bring some snacks and ready made food)
- LAN gaming (not recommended, but depends on others)
- Purikura (aka NeoPrint)
- Boat ride
- Bungee!
- Night cycling
- Paintball
- Playing sparklers

As far as I can suggest, try to make the celebration as outdoor as possible, especially when it comes to the cake part. And there's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time too: making a time capsule for everyone ^
まきお
まきお
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsurugi Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:05 am

Not sure if i should go...only joined for 5 months....
I can't really sing XD...
I'll try to make if you guys don't mind me being there Smile

Last edited by mitsurugi on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : half a 5 months?)
mitsurugi
mitsurugi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:44 am

mitsurugi wrote:Not sure if i should go...only joined for half a 5 months....
I can't really sing XD...
I'll try to make if you guys don't mind me being there Smile

This event is open to everyone - even if you'd only just joined on 23 October. Smile

まきお wrote:This is definitely a great way to interact and yes, price is definitely affordable too. Thus, let's not eliminate the idea of singing at KTV.

Actually when I mean interaction, I'm more looking at the factor of participation - for karaoke, at any one time there is at most two person participating actively, with the rest participating passively (sing along) or not at all (stone, keep quiet). Also, I'm trying to plan this event in such a way that hopefully $10 is the most that one has to pay (for everything, including the cake), because let's face it - most of us here don't have a source of income, and more importantly, affordability is subjective. However, like I've said, if enough people feel it's doable, then why not?

まきお wrote:Other activities I can suggest for that day could be.

- KTV Mentioned above
- Pool Similar reason to above
- Bowling Somewhat similar reason to above
- Picnic (no BBQ, just bring some snacks and ready made food) I like this idea for its price, but we'll be subjected to the elements, and also what to do besides just eating and chatting
- LAN gaming (not recommended, but depends on others) I'm also not for this, but yeah, majority's call
- Purikura (aka NeoPrint) Too cost-intensive, not much of an activity to pass time
- Boat ride LOL!!! Interesting idea Smile
- Bungee! Cost, participation, nature of activity...I'd say no to this straightaway
- Night cycling This will greatly limit the number of people who can take part, due to time and equipment
- Paintball Good idea! Not too sure about the cost though...
- Playing sparklers LMAO

As far as I can suggest, try to make the celebration as outdoor as possible, especially when it comes to the cake part. And there's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time too: making a time capsule for everyone ^

My two-cents' worth on the list in bold. The problem with holding the celebration outdoor is that we will need a wet weather plan, and this is dependent on the location.

And I'm seriously impressed with the idea of a time capsule! It's doable! Smile
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by hayatekazama Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:20 pm

taikodojo bday falls on next sat? 24th oct? YOSH time to get a off day! XD
hayatekazama
hayatekazama
駆けだし
駆けだし

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubyrain Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:41 am

Picnic=can go sentosa/or anyone else=beach=someone bring soccer ball/frisbee/whatever else=everyone can play. Dun wan play=relax under the shade, makan, and chit chat.

Wet weather plan(if we go picnic)=go inside vivo, catch a movie, wait for it to stop raining/ we can go to that amphitheatre (where Drumzout09 was held) for shelter.

KTV=no good because 1) not everyone sings, 2)different preference of song languages and 3) if one big group go = very exp.

Boat ride=no thanks.

The rest=no comments.

xD

Rubyrain
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Giazenshia Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Boat ride = no thanks too. I can't swim, and I go down like a piece of metal.

I'm okay with paintball, but where? Sound nice, and what's the cost?

And finally, I'm very okay with board games/card games (especially those like uno stacko)

For that Sat, I'll probably head down to KKnM as usual, then to find you guys.
Giazenshia
Giazenshia
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 pm

Haha, i'm in for the celebration!! Board games sounds fantastic!! Cos it does make people interact with each other and create friendship bondings
Board games will be even more fun especially when you play it with "forfeit" of drinking something mixed with something etc. *Muahahahahaha*

I still remember ruby, meow, simin and me play the uno stacko thingy @ amk hub nebo, it's so fun sia!! The person who make the tower collapsed will have to forfeit by drinking my specially mixed drink. Wahahahahah~
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 pm

=Placed topic under Announcement=
Admin
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Giazenshia Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 pm

yuu_yuki wrote:Haha, i'm in for the celebration!! Board games sounds fantastic!! Cos it does make people interact with each other and create friendship bondings
Board games will be even more fun especially when you play it with "forfeit" of drinking something mixed with something etc. *Muahahahahaha*

I still remember ruby, meow, simin and me play the uno stacko thingy @ amk hub nebo, it's so fun sia!! The person who make the tower collapsed will have to forfeit by drinking my specially mixed drink. Wahahahahah~

And I remember someone make me draw 8 then put on top... And my specialty = starting make people life difficult liao.

Your drink? Must bring gastric and stomachache pills liao... LOL
Giazenshia
Giazenshia
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by hayatekazama Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 am

can drink vodka with sprite for my forfeit? XD
hayatekazama
hayatekazama
駆けだし
駆けだし

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:53 am

Does this mean that most of you, if not all, are alright with board games? Because if so then I can confirm it and start collecting money already.
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by Giazenshia Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 pm

hayatekazama wrote:can drink vodka with sprite for my forfeit? XD

NO!

We got minors here. And knowing you get drunk easily... NO NO NO!

Or you want my special alcohol? I only got 4ml but you can live with it. Comes with a free red colouring and lithium heparin.

ongchinkai wrote:Does this mean that most of you, if not all, are alright with board games? Because if so then I can confirm it and start collecting money already.

I'm okay with it.
Giazenshia
Giazenshia
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by mitsurugi Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Same here haha, haven't played board games in quite a while though XD
mitsurugi
mitsurugi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by hayatekazama Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:51 am

for ur info, i dont easily get drunk anymore.. lolx just hyper face very red.. lolx but yea I'm ok with board games..
hayatekazama
hayatekazama
駆けだし
駆けだし

Back to top Go down

Post by まきお Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:53 am

to some, board games = bored games.
まきお
まきお
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by yuu_yuki Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:06 pm

ongchinkai wrote:Does this mean that most of you, if not all, are alright with board games? Because if so then I can confirm it and start collecting money already.

I'm okay with it. haha
And uno stacko is a must!! Muahahahaaha~

Giazenshia wrote:
Your drink? Must bring gastric and stomachache pills liao... LOL

Keke, i'll come up with a special drink for forfeit, on any food i can find during the outing.
yuu_yuki
yuu_yuki

Back to top Go down

Post by ongchinkai Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:14 am

Sorry to dampen everyone's expectations but the board games idea might have to be shelved. I checked with Settler's Cafe and based on the quotation they gave me and the response I see so far, either I will need a large turnout to ensure that everyone pays $10 or less, or those that turn up may have to pay AT LEAST $20 (rough estimate).

I'm now looking at contingency plans, simplest of which is simply a group dinner at somewhere affordable but which is not a food court...
ongchinkai
ongchinkai
半人前
半人前

Back to top Go down

Post by hayatekazama Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 am

ongchinkai wrote:Sorry to dampen everyone's expectations but the board games idea might have to be shelved. I checked with Settler's Cafe and based on the quotation they gave me and the response I see so far, either I will need a large turnout to ensure that everyone pays $10 or less, or those that turn up may have to pay AT LEAST $20 (rough estimate).

I'm now looking at contingency plans, simplest of which is simply a group dinner at somewhere affordable but which is not a food court...

lets all eat at bounce!!! XD try the v2 cheese burger!! and their desserts! Twisted Evil
hayatekazama
hayatekazama
駆けだし
駆けだし

Back to top Go down

Post by gepi Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:38 pm

ongchinkai wrote:Sorry to dampen everyone's expectations but the board games idea might have to be shelved. I checked with Settler's Cafe and based on the quotation they gave me and the response I see so far, either I will need a large turnout to ensure that everyone pays $10 or less, or those that turn up may have to pay AT LEAST $20 (rough estimate).

there's still mind's cafe. or if really cannot, nebo.

not sure if I'm free on that day or not though. may have to work.
gepi
gepi
修行中
修行中

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next